Sunday, September 27, 2009

Aerial shots from the ground

Images from the ride from Leh to Manali:

My 4 a.m. silhouette; if you look closely maybe you can see the icicle on my chin


Dawn breaks at 16,000-some-odd feet


Occasionally our driver got tired of all these damn switchbacks and drove straight down from one to another


Pit stop on the moon... no trees, no bushes, and certainly no actual toilets (by "actual" I mean with a hole and behind some kind of screen) ... fortunately some of the rocks were 3 feet tall or so...


Paratha, spicy pickle, and egg, aka best breakfast ever

The road probably continues around the corner


Terraces across a deep valley


A glacier pours down in slow motion


Driving to heights that seem like our mini-bus should have a pressurized cabin

Abrupt changes after Rohtang Pass -- mud and traffic -- as we descend thousands of feet to Manali

Certainly a memorable ride. And one that makes tomorrow night's 10-hour bus ride to Dharamsala seem (fingers crossed) like a mere hop.

2 comments:

  1. I admire that driver's sense of destiny.

    That egg thing looks yummalicious, and certainly more edible than the CRAP I encountered at coffee shop this morning. They were out of tacos. Why the hell do I live in Texas if I can't get a f'ing taco for breakfast, I ask you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has absolutely nothing to do with your post, but this morning, Justin Timberlake tweeted with a little vid of himself, and he is wearing an NPR shirt. You are away from America; I need to keep you posted of important events. <3

    ReplyDelete