Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Birthday Treat: Joshua Tree



I made it another lap around the sun and got to celebrate in one of the cooler places in California: Joshua Tree National Park. My folks and brother came out and indulged my need to clamber around on some rocks, and Elizabeth patiently belayed me all day after doing one climb herself.

A good day was had by all.


Leading 'Heart of Darkness'

Here's a video of the same climb:



Taking on calories, tailgate style, with mi familia

After four months of travel and the addition of considerable padding around the mid-section (courtesy of many generous helpings of sticky rice and bengan bharta) I was relieved to find that I could still get up my favorite JT climbs.

This one is called "O'Kelley's Crack":




The day finished as any foray to the desert should, with a tempeh rueben sandwich and a pint of Guinness at Crossroads Cafe. I may have felt like an old man, but that night I slept like a baby.


Insert obligatory U2 reference here

3 comments:

  1. Okay, so this is not a U2 reference, but more like...cactus spotting? That cactus on the left was initially mistaken for a camel by this reader. Though upon further inspection some type of ostrich/flamingo hybrid seems more apt...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cy, those camels and flamingos are Joshua trees! Maybe our next reunion will have to be down there. I'll enjoy hearing what you think they look like up close.

    ReplyDelete