Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The penny drops

While walking back to our apartment tonight I suddenly realized why the hotel across the street, though in a beautiful old building, with a perfectly new-looking sign, never seems to be open during the day. All the shutters on the windows are pulled down.

But at night, on some of the rooms, they're up partway, and the reception area's open.

This all clicked as I glanced over and saw an older man standing in the tiny lobby waiting for a younger woman to make a transaction at the reception desk.

Ohhhh. It's a "telo."

The word is "hotel" backwards and in lunfardo, the Buenos Aires argot, it means, as I saw it rather nicely described somewhere, a "pay-per-hour love motel."

I may confirm my suspicions with the guys next door, who man the parking garage at most hours of the day and night. But I'm not sure I need to. After all, it's above "Eden," the "international club," whose sign displays a woman proffering an apple.

And here, in another rather fancy hotel nearby (see comment below), is the shower -- oddly set up so you can see in from the bedroom. Hmmm.

3 comments:

  1. I think we need a picture. Be sly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it all looks pretty innocuous really.

    But now we've been informed by our Spanish teachers that probably it's not a telo -- telos go ahead and say what they are. It's probably what my teacher called a puteria. I think you can figure that word out.

    Our friend Seth stayed at quite a fancy hotel right around the corner that had an odd shower -- one that you could see into from the room. Also little colored lights around one wall of the room. I think it must fall into one of the above categories too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How considerate that hotels are classified by their intended clientele:
    One-night stands, come over here!
    Family vacation? Go there!
    I'm struggling to make a witty joke about how this might affect CSI:Buenos Aires, but it's too early and I need mas cafe...

    ReplyDelete