Thursday, April 29, 2010

Lessons in personal space

A quick note on a Subte phenomenon here:

Buenos Aires subway cars get very crowded, probably more crowded than anything I've experienced on public transportation. But I have been on a lot of buses and a lot of trains, in a lot of cities, and I've never experienced this: when it's crowded here, some people LEAN. I mean, they really lean, letting all their weight rest against me. If I could suddenly dart away, out from under their body, they might fall to the ground.

Oddest of all to me, they seem to think nothing's odd about it. I squirm and try to poke them with my shoulder blades and even turn to look at them, and they pay no attention.

I've had it happen three times, have seen it done to someone else, and have talked to others here who've experienced it, so I think this is a bona fide phenomenon. Both women and men have leaned and been leaned on. Sometimes big people lean on little people! And the leaners all appear to be perfectly able-bodied people who can actually hold themselves up if forced to do so (e.g., when the car gets emptier).

I've been tempted to say, "¡SeƱor(a), no soy un muro!" (I am not a wall!) and have been told that this would be an appropriate thing to say. I've been too chicken to try it, though.

This behavior is annoying, sure, but it's also baffling. It seems like a very strange thing to do.

Does this happen anywhere else?

4 comments:

  1. Huh. I've never experienced it, but Boston and SF are very...reserved as far as cities go, and those are the only two cities in which I have experienced crowded public transit. I suspect that Latin America is simply touchier in general, and people think nothing of it.

    Sidenote: I request more pics of architecture!

    Sidenote 2: We watched an Argentinean film for class today: La mujer sin cabeza. It was...interesting. I might like it better if I knew more about class and race in Argentina. I think I missed a lot due to being American.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It definitely is touchier, that's true. Men kiss each other hello and goodbye here. I love that.

    Will get on those architecture pics. We went to Uruguay yesterday for the day (!) and have a bunch of cool pictures.

    I'm interested to hear more about the film if you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rob sometimes complains (approx once a month)that I lean on him too much...So perhaps it is a widespread phenomenon: Baltimore and Buenos Aires.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marty is a leaner too. But in, you know, a married couple it doesn't seem so odd...

    ReplyDelete