Friday, November 20, 2009

Facebook blackout

I would be posting about Phnom Penh, but I'm on a computer that can't see any of the files on our camera, so rather than doing an image-free post about a place with a lot of things to look at, I thought I'd just note this: Facebook appears to be blocked in Vietnam. I've been unable to get on at various computers in both Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi, but couldn't find any news about it until today.

Interesting, no?

In travel news, we're in Hanoi now and tomorrow take a morning train to Haiphong, en route to Halong Bay, which we're very excited to visit; I've had a crush on it ever since seeing Indochine at an impressionable age. We'll have to hearken back to Phnom Penh, Ho Chi Minh City, and Hanoi in future posts.

We've enjoyed the surprisingly cold weather here in Hanoi but will be happy to escape the homicidal motorbikes.

3 comments:

  1. This isn't the first I've heard of such things. A friend of mine in China says twitter is often blocked. I guess those social sites are a) hard to monitor and b) threatening in terms of their organizational power. Is there some political situation that would cause this in Vietnam? Or just general controls?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey guys--

    everything on the blog looks amazing! happy to see you're having such a great time!

    love from sf!
    ken

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooooh! Halong Bay is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I almost nixed it in favor of something else, but it was one of the best places in Vietnam.

    ReplyDelete